Alice History

From:  "The Handbook of Texas"

ADAMS, WILLIAM (1846–1939).  William Adams, sheep rancher and public servant, son of Robert and Sarah (Anderson) Adams, was born in Norfolk, England, on January 3, 1846. With his brother, Robert Adams, and his parents he moved to Corpus Christi, Texas, in 1852. He began sheep ranching in partnership with Robert in 1867. The partnership operated in the Nueces River valley until 1893, when Adams moved to a large ranch near Alice that he had bought in 1891. He later moved into Alice. For sixteen years he was county commissioner of Nueces County. He became president of the Alice Cotton Oil Company and vice president of the South Texas Cattle Loan Company and the Alice Broom Corn Drying Company. He helped organize Jim Wells County in 1912 and served as ex officio county judge for a while. He married Sarah Dodson in January 1867, and after her death in 1894 he married Nina O. Young. He was the father of seven children. He died on January 12, 1939, at his home in Alice and was survived by two daughters and three sons. 

=================================================================

Alice History

The community of Alice was established in the year 1888. It was initially called Bandana. Its name was later changed to Kleberg. The city was renamed Alice in honor of Alice Kleberg, the daughter of Richard King, the founder of the King Ranch. In the mid 1940s, Armando Marroquin, Sr. launched the first home-based recording company to exclusively record Tejano artists. Since then, Alice has been known as the "The Birthplace of Tejano." The city is also referred to as the "Hub City of South Texas."  Alice was known for its large cattle industry until the discovery of petroleum beneath and around the town in the 1940s, which caused a slight population boom.  Alice originated from the defunct community of Collins, 3 miles (5 km) to the east. Circa 1880, the San Antonio and Aransas Pass Railway attempted to build a line through Collins, which then had approximately 2,000 inhabitants. The townspeople were not amenable to selling their land to the railroad company; consequently, the railroad site was moved 3 miles west, and in 1883, a depot called "Bandana" was established at its junction with the Corpus Christi, San Diego and Rio Grande Railway. Bandana soon became a thriving cattle-shipping point, and an application for a post office was made under the name "Kleberg" in honor of Robert Justus Kleberg, a veteran of the Battle of San Jacinto. The petition was denied because a town named Kleberg already appeared on the post office list, so residents then chose the name "Alice", in honor of Alice Gertrudis King Kleberg, Kleberg's wife and the daughter of Richard and Henrietta King. The Alice post office opened for business in 1888. Within a few years, the remaining residents of Collins moved to Alice, which was by then a thriving community.

Alice is the birthplace of two Nobel Prize winners. Robert F. Curl Jr. was honored with a Nobel Prize in chemistry in 1996, and James P. Allison won a Nobel for his work in medicine in 2018.

Alice and nearby Attractions

  • South Texas Museum
  • King Ranch Museum
  • Fraternal Cemetery
  • Pentecostal Missionary Assembly Church
  • Alice Memorial Stadium
  • Lake Corpus Christi Park

William Adams High School

William Adams High School is a defunct high school in Alice, Texas. It is now William Adams Middle School serving students in the grades of 7 and 8. High school students of Alice have been attending Alice High School as of 1970. After a long three year process, the William Adams Middle School building was torn down and replaced with a brand new building in 2009.

=================================================================

Only in Alice Texas will one find what the 1976 Guinness Book of Records calls the tallest concrete water tower in the world.  The city's water tower near downtown is 165 feet. 

=================================================================